Sunday, August 21, 2011

Saturday: Movies

230/365

Sorry about not posting last night. There is a story behind it. I promise.

So Saturday.

I had been at home all day. I had breakfast with the subletters (huckleberry pancakes. SO GOOD) and then I was just hanging out. I've been feeling kinda funky the past few days, probably left over from the sucky drive home I had.

I'm also ready for my friends to be back. I'm tired of being so close to campus and knowing that if and when I head over there, I won't be able to see someone I love. And there is someone in particular I want to see, but that's a kinda complicated situation. I don't know what will happen when we see each other this year. It's going to be interesting. ANYWAY. I think I'm just lonely.

SO I was bored and wanted to go see a movie. So I went and saw two!



I saw One Day with Jim Sturgiss and Anne Hathaway, and then The Help with Emma Stone and Viola Davis. Both were INCREDIBLE movies.

One Day is about two people who meet each other on their graduation from University and then it shows their relationship growing over twenty years. It always shows July 15th. They both grow in different ways, one falling by the wayside, the other following their dream, both with their problems. Eventually they realize their love for each other. It's a beautiful story. I laughed and I cried. And for a love story, it seemed fairly realistic to me. I could actually believe that Dexter and Emma were real people and that I was really watching their relationship happen. It was so enjoyable and I totally recommend it.

The Help is based off of the best selling novel. It's a story of a young white female socialite in the Deep South during the time of The Civil Rights Movement. Skeeter (Emma Stone) longs to be a journalist and she is asked by an editor in New York to write something that is different, that has never been written before. Skeeter gets the idea to write the stories of the maids of her friends and neighbors. But to do this, she must attempt to persuade the maids to give her the stories. She starts with her childhood friend's maid, Aibileen (Viola Davis). It grows into a huge movement where at least a dozen maids end up sharing their stories and it is published. I cried because it's such a moving story. The book is incredible, I read it earlier this summer and I am so glad I saw the movie.

See both of these movies. Both worth the eleven dollars.

Happy movie watching.


Kelsey Page
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” ~Matthew 6: 33-34

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...